Iamsu! Sincerly Yours stream
IAMSU! feat. 2 Chainz & Sage The Gemini “Only That Real”
Iamsu! “Hipster Girls”
Iamsu Sincerely Yours related interviews
– Iamsu of the HBK gang coming out of the Bay Area (Richmond) recently dropped his debut studio album Sincerely Yours. Iamsu (and his HBK gang) have been steadily building a buzz over the past few years, with many successful mixtapes. This album is his declaration of arriving on a bigger stage, reppin’ the Bay Area, and thanking his fan base who supported him through the early mixtape years. Sincerely Yours is a mixture of sounds: “Function” sound, trap, bass, R&B, lush synths, retro sounds and samples. Iamsu’s lyrics are as diverse as the sound from party “turn up” tunes like “Only That Real,” to introspective ones like the track “Problems”, and odes to women like “Hipster Girls” (Iamsu’s “Bonita Applebum”). Features include 2Chainz, Wiz Khalifa, Berner, Too $hort, E-40, Drizzy Wright, as well as fellow HBK member Sage The Gemini, P-Lo, and Kool John, Skipper. Iamsu and HBK crew’s sound is diverse enough to carry through many regions beyond the Bay Area.
Other HBK members music videos
GLAM.I.Rock The Feel EP
– GLAM.I.Rock is a rapper/producer from Oakland. Her parents are the veteran Bay Area rappers NicNac and Dangerous Dame. She has an EP out called The Feel (free download above). GLAM’s production style has retro elements while being very modern and diverse in sound. Lyrically she is sharp and versatile enough to spit “turn up” party raps, odes to smoking dank, but she can also switch it up by dropping reality raps and uplifting bars. GLAM reminds me of artists like Conscious Daughters, MC Lyte, Ladybug Mecca, and Missy Elliot (especially with venturing into producing her own beats). GLAM.I.Rock is an artist to lookout for, a heavy hitter coming out the O!
GLAM.I.Rock interview on Sway in the Morning
Who is G.L.A.M.?
Glam.I.Rock music videos
Vic Mensa, Asap Rocky, Bun B, and GLAM.I.Rock in a cypher on MTV’s Rap Fix with host Sway & DJ Red Alert on the 1s & 2s
Lee Mazin, Nyemiah Supreme, Dutch Rebelle and GLAM.I.Rock spit their best rhymes in this special RapFix cypher
Big Shawn a.k.a B.I.Lectric “Music is my Life”
– New video “Music is my Life” from rapper/producer Big Shawn aka B.I.Lectric from the SF Bay Area Hip-Hop group Bored Stiff. The track is Shawn’s ode to his passion for music. The music video was directed by BeatsMe.
Whiz Khalifa “Mann! (Weed Mix)”
– Wiz Khalifia’s stoner anthem “Maan!” music video was shot in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Meridian Dan “I’m From A Place”
– UK Grime rapper Meridian Dan spits reality bars about where’s he’s from in “I’m From A Place”.
Jaye$ “Babe Ruth”
– Cool new G-funk rap from a young Oakland rapper Jaye$ on a track called “Babe Ruth” which interpolates Ice Cube’s “You Know How We Do It” (which sampled Evelyn Champagne King’s “The Show Is Over”).
Ice Cube “You Know How We Do” (1994)
Evelyn Champagne King “The Show Is Over” (1977)
The Bay’s Best Mike Mosley and Erk Tha Jerk Stop By Sway in the Morning a Discuss Hyphy Movement
In an interesting game of #djgames, Oakland’s DJ Platurn asked on his FB status:
Songs people lose their shit to and recite every word when you play it. I’ll start: Bohemian Rhapsody #djgames
Someone mentioned The Cure’s “Tainted Love” which I have not heard that version before (DJ Platurn was also puzzled by this mention). “Tainted Love” is originally an old R&B/Soul record composed by Ed Cobb of The Four Preps and the song was recorded by Gloria Jones in 1964 and became a Northern Soul anthem. Later on it was re-made famous again through a cover by the 80s New Wave/Synth-pop group Soft Cell. Fellow 80s New Wave band The Cure also made a cover of the song. “Tainted Love” has been covered countless times over the years since it’s first recording. The last major cover of the song comes from shock rocker Marilyn Manson.
Gloria Jones “Tainted Love”
Soft Cell “Tainted Love”
Marilyn Manson “Tainted Love”
Oliver Heldens “Koala”
– New track “Koala” from Dutch house producer Oliver Heldens who had a recent hit with the track “Geeko” featuring singer Becky Hill.
Jamie XX “All Under One Roof Raving”
– New track “All Raving Under One Roof” from UK electronic producer Jamie XX. The track samples an experimental short film by artist Mark Lecky’s 1999 flick Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore. The chill dance track features steel drums, buzzy synth bass lines, elements of acid house, ambient music, and of course UK garage. This is Jamie XX’s homage to old UK Hardcore music, in his style of production.
Nardwuar vs The Wu-Tang Clan
– New Nardwuar interview with The Wu Tang Clan. He’s interviewed individual Wu members, but in this video he gets to interact with the whole clan.
Evolution of Electronic Sound – UKG: Dubstep Garage (1999-2002) mix
– A cool retrospective mix of the evolution of Dubstep and UK Garage from 1999 – 2002 by the Evolution of Electronic Sound youtube channel.
– An extensive family tree of Juke/Footwork DJs, producers, and dancers curated by the Japan based Booty Tune Crew/Label.
Solid Steel Radio Show 6/6/2014 Part 1 + 2 – Addison Groove
– This is an eclectic mix of dub, reggae, world music, Hip-Hop, and Juke/Footwork from a recent Ninja Tune Solid Steel Radio Show by Addison Groove.
VV Brown ft Kele Okereke “Faith”
George Michael “Faith (US Version)” (1987)
Bo Diddley “Bo Diddley” (1955)
– George Michael’s “Faith” was inspired by Bo Diddley’s playing style.
Adult Swim Singles
– Adult Swim has recently launched a music label and is releasing indie music free for download over a period of 16 weeks featuring 16 artists. There first release was from legendary electronic music, disco, dance producer Giorgio Moroder ‘s “Giorgio’s Theme.” For more info head to Adult Swim’s singles site.
Wildchild “Renegade Master (Fatboy Slim Old Skool Mix)” (1998)
A.D.O.R “One For The Trouble” (1994)
– House/electronica artist UK artist Wildchild sampled 1994’s A.D.O.R’s “One For The Trouble” for his “Renegade Master” track in 1995. The mix above of “Renegade Master” is by Fatboy Slim, released in 1998.